Rustington is part of the Schoolsworks Academy Trust, a local multi-academy trust based in Bognor Regis. Currently there are four other schools in the trust – Edward Bryant School, River Beach Primary School, Medmerry Primary School and Rose Green Junior School. Membership of the trust allows us to learn from other well-performing schools by sharing good practice, by achieving economies of scale in purchasing services and by working together at the strategic level to ensure the future success of all the schools.
Head teachers, local governors, trust directors and senior leaders from all schools work closely together, resulting in key policies being consistent across the trust. Working as part of a multi-academy trust means that staff at all levels are able to share good practice and expertise.
Examples of work undertaken together include;
- Board members, governors and senior leadership teams working on a future business plan
- Headteachers working on a range of issues including performance management of staff, analysis of data, and teaching and learning
- Deputy Headteachers devising a scrutiny sheet to be used for learning walks. Their current focus is ‘Assessment Without Levels’
- Teachers with expertise in a specific area are regularly called on to deliver staff meetings or to work alongside colleagues in other schools. Our current focus on ‘Talk For Writing’ was initiated by senior staff from Edward Bryant School.
- Moderation of pupils’ work provides an external view and ensures consistency across the trust.
- Newly qualified teachers regularly visit other schools in the trust in order to observe and learn from outstanding practitioners.
- The trust has implemented a programme for recently qualified teachers resulting in these teachers feeling fully supported in what is a crucial year in their teaching career.
- At a financial level, School Business Managers work closely together in order that schools can achieve best value across the trust.
Throughout all of this, being a Schoolsworks school allows us to continually develop and enhance our children’s learning.