For further information or advice please contact our Inclusion leader Mrs Smith via the office.

Our Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Offer

At Rustington Community Primary School we welcome everyone into our school community. We work as a team to ensure that all pupils are able to access the National Curriculum at an appropriate level and achieve their full potential. The children at the school who have a SEND make good progress.

Does my child have a Special Educational Need or Disability (SEND)?

The children at Rustington Community Primary School are assessed on a regular basis against the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum and the National Curriculum. Children that are identified as having a significant difference to the expected levels of progress are then observed, monitored and assessed individually to identify any specific needs they may have which will then be supported by appropriate interventions. A collaborative decision will be made led by informed assessments and advice taken from parents, staff and outside agencies (where appropriate) to structure the support given to your child.

Children who transfer from other schools will be assessed by the class teacher who will also use previous school records (including any previous history of special needs) to identify individual children’s starting points. Parents and carers are an important part of this approach and good communication between home and school is vital. If you are concerned about your child, then talking to your child’s class teacher would be the first step.

How will my child be supported?

The curriculum is carefully differentiated to meet the needs of all children from the high achieving to those with learning needs or for those who have English as an additional language. This will enable all pupils to access the curriculum, make progress and achieve their full potential.

Some children may need more support than others to access the National Curriculum at an appropriate level. Some pupils may only require slight adaptations of the curriculum and others may benefit from small group interventions. Class teachers work closely with the SENCo to oversee and plan your child’s education programme. You will be consulted and kept informed of any interventions that your child will receive. If your child needs an individual plan, this will be reviewed on a termly basis with you and your child. Some children with more complex educational needs may need an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), which will be reviewed regularly and progress will be monitored by the Local Educational Authority SEND team.

All of the teaching and support staff have been trained in supporting children who have varied special educational needs and disabilities.

We have a member of our local governing body who is our SEND governor and has termly meetings with the SENCo to discuss the progress of any children with SEND.

Children’s progress is monitored and discussed regularly to ensure that they are making progress.

Support and interventions offered:

  • Speech & Language;
  • Social Communication development;
  • Literacy support;
  • Phonics support;
  • Toe By Toe (syllabic literacy programme);
  • Typing skills;
  • First Class at Number;
  • Springboard for Years 5 and 6;
  • SNAP;
  • Jump Ahead (gross/fine motor skill development;

How will the school let me know how my child is progressing?

Regular consultation evenings are arranged to discuss your child’s progress and learning with the class teacher. As a school with a genuine open door policy you can always make an appointment to speak to your child’s class teacher, head teacher or SENCo to discuss your child’s progress.

How will my child’s overall wellbeing be supported?

Many members of staff are trained first aiders and staff receive appropriate training for any specific medical conditions (including those who deal specifically with Early Years. Medicines can be given by the school as long as appropriate forms have been completed. Individualised care plans tailored to your child’s own needs will be co-produced with you, your child and any outside agencies as appropriate.

Behavioural expectations in the school are high; all children are treated with respect and are expected to treat others with respect.

Our Children and Families’ Support Worker provides one to one and group sessions, focusing on emotional support rather than educational issues.  These may to do with home life such as bereavement and divorce; or in-school concerns including friendship, anger management and transition.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

Our school is fully inclusive and all school activities and visits are accessible by all pupils. Group and individualised risk assessments are devised in consultation with the children and parents as appropriate. Volunteers are welcomed in the school subject to the appropriate checks.

How accessible is the school environment?

Rustington is wheelchair accessible and we have disabled toilet access.

How does Rustington Community Primary School support children transferring into and out of the school?

Transition arrangements in joining and leaving Rustington Community Primary School are well planned, and you and your child will be well supported. Children joining in reception are given many opportunities before starting school to familiarise themselves with the school and the class teacher. When leaving the school at the end of year 6 children have the opportunity to visit their new schools and transition programmes can be individualised if appropriate.  Yearly transitions are also supported, and fully tailored to individual need.

How can I get involved in school?

The school encourages full participation in the life of the school. Volunteers are always welcome in the classroom. Newsletters give information about events happening in the school.

Who can I contact for further information?

The school office would be the first point of contact in the school. An appointment with the class teacher, special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCo) or the head teacher will allow you to discuss any concerns you may have about your child.

Who can I contact if I have a complaint?

As above, an appointment with the class teacher, special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCo) or the head teacher will allow you to discuss the nature of your complaint, and we will work quickly to resolve any concerns or issues.
© 2018 Rustington Community Primary School. All rights reserved.

01903 785271

© 2018 Rustington Community Primary School. All rights reserved.
Website designed by Surkle